Starting June 2017 the Cloudwatchers were equipped with the experimental relative humidity sensor.
From Sept 2017, most units werealso assembled with a new, dark blue rain sensor.
Both new sensors have surprised us to some extent, with readings not as we expected.
To be more specific:
- - the relative humidity sensor is not optimally mounted, resulting in a drier value. While still under-performing in our opinion, this can be greatly improved using a RH-correction algorithm.
- - the rain sensor has an extended range of valid values, 0 (zero) being a valid heavy rain reading and not an indication of sensor failure.
Updating to latest software - both for Windows, v. 5.70, and for the Solo, v.19, addresses both issues and adds some other nice features:
- relative humidity values ranging between 5% and 95%
- the source of the ambient temperature can be selected between the IR sensor (which has been used for this since 2008) or the new RH sensor
- offset can be applied to both ambient and IR temperature
- the graphs in the Windows program include date / time information
- ... and in the Solo web can be rearranged to your preferences
- the USB pen can be accessed from the network (Solo)
- the model of the anemometer (older, gray, or newer, black) can be selected
- the selected "Unsafe" buttons are now more clearly visible (Windows)
- the old "CCDAP4.." file has now a different name (AAG_SLD.DAT), to better reflect its contents (Windows) matching the one from the Solo. SLD stands for Single Line Data.
- same file, two versions are now being generated, the "normal" (dot as decimal separator one) and another one, name prepended with "CS-" with a comma separating decimal numbers. The object of this is to cope with localization aware and unaware client programs. (Windows)
- unsafe cloudy delay - so a specified number of seconds with constant cloud readings must happen before the cloud status becomes confirmed. (Windows)
We are still working to find a better RH sensor, one that can be fitted to almost all units (quite confidently to all anemometer-capable ones).
Quick software downloads links:
For the Solo, just go to the normal update option in the configuration page.